<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I'm Afraid It's Going to Require Surgery

Scissors meet socks.
Thankfully it turned out not so horrible once I had a good idea of what I needed to do:
So, I'm knitting along like gangbusters on this stripey sock, spend a LOT of time on the intarsia heel flap (I need colorwork practice, but I knew that going in and I think this turned out to be a pretty fair looking specimen), and then realize that the 20 stripe chart says "stop chart after stripe 14 and begin heel flap". Huh? Now why would there be a 20 stripe chart if I wasn't supposed to follow it blindly to the end? *grin* I think, "Well, the socks are just going to be six stripes too long. So what?"
So, six stripes amounted to 24 rows which, having made no calf increases, gave me socks that were too tight at the top. Way too tight. "No sending these out to a pal" too tight. But I'm definitely not going to rip out the whole sock 'cause that would just be dumb, now wouldn't it? Time to kitchener, ladies! That's right. I cut off the heel flap a few rows up and unraveled to the beginning of the flap. Then I ripped back up the leg to where I was supposed to stop the first time. And I'm gonna kitchener that sucker together. Tomorrow. ;)

Or maybe I'll knit the other sock leg since the first went so fast and come back to this one. Either way, it's fixable and I'm glad.
Oh! And don't let me forget to mention the sweet surprise that arrived in the mail yesterday. A pair of bitty bulldogs! One for the big brother and one for the little guy-to-be. From the super awesome Kim at Hand Eye Crafts! Thanks, Kim! You rock. :)

p.s. I've started getting spam on my old (pre-word verification) posts. Suck. :(

15 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How brave are you putting scissors to knitting?! I would definitely do the same thing rather than sacrifice all that colorwork, though. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully!

I may be asking your advice if I ever make it to the colorwork round in Sock Madness.

Cute bulldogs! Kim is such a sweet person.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger mle said...

You are so brave!!!

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Seeing that picture before actually reading the post just about made me choke on my coffee. I thought "Who could go and ruin a perfectly good sock like that!"

Glad that it all worked out the way it was supposed to. You're so brave!

Those bulldogs are adorable, too. How sweet!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Bitterknitter said...

I love a good surgery (the knit kind, too squeamish for the other kind)!

K off P on, P off K on away! It's going to be perfect!

-Lisa

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Teyani said...

ah the courage you have!
hats off to you for cutting and stitching... It's looking fabulous

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

How brave! How great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger roxie said...

Brilliant! Bravo! You rock!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Gasp! You're so brave!

Cute bulldogs!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger clothesknit said...

i feel like i'm driving by a bad accident on the freeway...afraid to look and then staring at those scissors. scissors next to knitting. kudos to you for bravery!

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Teri S. said...

Scissors...cutting the heel...I feel faint. I'm very impressed. I never would have thought to do it like that. I couldn't see the pictures, though. For some reason, my browser is randomly refusing to load pictures.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger knittinmom said...

D'oh! I hate seeing scissors near knitting, although it's a necessary evil sometimes.

And you know I am so with you at Harlot - just put it on my (thankfully empty that day) calendar!

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, that had to be hard to do!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ouch! Very scary!!!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

OH NO!!! I can't believe you had to cut the socks!! I would still be sobbing on the floor! They were SOOO pretty and I know they will be so when you finish...UGH!!

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG you are a brave woman! I can't wait to see how that turns out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home