<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Yarn Harlot

What a great time Katrina, Chrissy, and I had! And Chris and Lori and Tiffany [with the most well-behaved 2-year-old Ben on the planet!] and the nice gal that sat next to me and was knitting the cute kitty with a dress--I've already forgotten your name! We arrived at Powell's about 6:15. Chrissy was already there and had saved us seats (thanks, lady!) about 4 rows back. There were still plenty of seats left even though Powell's, like so many other places who know nothing of the following of The Harlot, only set out about 50. By 7:00 it was standing room only. By the time Stephanie started around 7:30 knitters were 6 & 7 deep in the aisles.

Stephanie was fabulously funny. It was such a treat to meet her in person. Here she is doing her obligatory photos of the audience with the sock. (I love that I don't even have to explain to you what "the sock" is--you just know.)


I had her sign a book for myself and also one for my Yarn Aboard pal. She even agreed to pose with Sir Francis Drake (and threw in a little sock action on top of the box) which will be my submission for Contest #2. It even wound up being a good picture of both of us (thanks, Katrina)!


There were other knitting celebrities in attendance. Kelley from KnitPicks was there with her too-cute dog. Both looked like they'd just stepped out of the KnitPicks catalog. *grin* Not only was Kelley knitting some of the time, but she was also spinning--with her dog on her lap! Now that's talent, ladies & gents. Chrissy pointed out the women of Blue Moon Fiber Arts standing a few rows behind us. I'm sure there were more knitterly folks to see, but I was busy making progress on my Mystery Sock with its funky garter stitch cuff. Could it have been a better night? Maybe microbrews with The Harlot afterwards, but other than that it was perfect!

18 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

How fun! What a great idea for your Yarn Aboard contest entry too.

That picture does look straight out of a Knitpicks catalog!

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

What a fun evening! And I'm not surprised Stephanie posed with Sir Francis .... she's always asking strangers to hold her sock, it's not a stretch to ask her to hold a picture of a famous explorer.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Sounds like it was a great time! Must admit, I'm kinda jealous. I don't think the Harlot will be venturing to my neck of the woods. :(

-Lisa

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...sounds like so much fun! Sir Francis with Stephanie is a great entry for the Yarn Abroad contest.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

That's it! I'm moving to Oregon! You guys get all the good stuff out there.

Seriously, what a fun time y'all had! And I love the picture of you two with the box. What a treat for your yarn aboard pal, too!

Neat-o!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Come on, Ang! We'd love to have ya! :)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Hi there! I was up in the front, um, knitting a sock. Wait, so was everyone else. Anyway, wasn't the crowd insane? I left around 9:15 and there was still a pretty long line to get books signed. The Powell's employees looked none too happy :-P.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we went together. It was great fun (and great company). Wouldn't you say that about 95% of the knitters in attendance were knitting socks? Too funny.

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had met you there last night so I could match blogger to real-life person! I came home so exhilerated - whew! Even the hour drive home to HR didn't temper my excitement. It was like an early birthday present!

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you last night! What a fun time we had. :)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Oooh, I'm so jealous! That sounds like so much fun!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Amanda! Thanks for visiting my blog - I've got you on my bloglines now. :) Is that your bulldog? I had a bulldog who died years ago and I still miss her - she was an amazing animal! I just adore bulldogs as a general rule. I used to joke that none of my fiber projects was ever really finished until I had some bulldog hair in it. :) Not that I could avoid it anyway!

I feel like I'm the only person left who hasn't seen the Harlot. :(

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Jealous, jealous, jealous. I'm ten shades of green. (-:


And the pic of SFD with the Harlot? Perfection.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger LavenderSheep said...

It was such an awesome night. I can't wait for her next book so that she will have to come tour again!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Hey, you got a mention and a link in her blog! How cool is that?

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Um, seriously cool, if I do say so myself. *squeal!*

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Teri S. said...

Man, that sounds like a great time. Too bad the microbrews with the Harlot didn't happen. That truly would have been the icing on the cake!

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda!
There is a possibilty that we'll be moving to Portland from Florida and I've been checking out blogs and yarn shop sites. My hubby was actually there on Wednesday, but no amount of begging would get him to go to see the Harlot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home