<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Right Proper Swatch

It's not 4x4, but it's as big a swatch as I think you'll ever get out of me. Real math is important when you don't want to spend a month on something that will make you look like a cow. It's for the February Lady Sweater & I have lots of Silky Wool to use! Mmmmmm.....

Swatch Details
KnitPicks US6 circs, cast on 50, knit 40-ish rows

Before Washing: 6 sts per inch with ruler (6.25" by math), 8" long by 3.5" wide

After Hand Washing (30 minutes in lukewarm water & SOAK): 5.5 sts per inch with ruler (5.6 by math), 8.875 long by 3.5" wide. Ooooohhhh, growth!


February Lady Sweater gauge is 4.5 sts/inch, so I will knit the large size at my 5.5 sts/inch and come out with something that should fit just right! Is it okay to keep my fingers crossed (assuming I can still knit that way)?


Other things not swatch related--
  • The Herringbone socks might be too small! Grrrrr..... Measurements being obtained on the sly by SIL. The suspense is tangible.
  • My current standby knit is the bathmat based on EZ's Garter Stitch Blanket. Jared at Brooklyntweed did a gorgeous blanket you can see here. But I need a bathmat and have lots o' cotton, so that's what this one will be. I am already imagining how cushy it will feel under my toes! (after I wrote that, I had to toss the first piece on the floor and walk on it--it's really nice.)
  • I am so sad at the death of CRAFT Magazine. I had finally convinced myself that it was worth subscribing to--only to have my first issue be their last. *sigh*


EDIT: After knitting the first 10 rows of the sweater, I have come to terms with the fact that I need to be true to myself and my gauge and knit the XL. It should come out at 40.5 inches which would be just right. The L would have been a 38 and I'm scared it would be a tad snug.

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

I love the color of your silky wool! Gorgeous! All the math and numbers make my head hurt, but I'll trust you on the gauge thing. :) This is probably the reason my stuff always turns out too small. :) Either that, or I'm knitting for my alter-ego.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Mistrmi said...

OW. Math this early makes my head hurt.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger mle said...

Look at you go with the swatch!!! it will definitely pay off. The silky wool is so pretty!

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger jessie said...

Just keep in mind that the FLS does stretch a lot (I don't know about the silky wool specifically). It seems like the lace gives in to the weight of the body. Can't wait to see it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home