<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Shawl Update

I've decided to continue the Candleflame shawl as a triangle. Until you wonderful folks commented, I hadn't even considered that turning it sideways might make the pattern look less than wonderful! Duh. I snapped on an extra cable (yay, Denise!) and sort of stretched the shawl out to get a feel for how long it is so far. It actually already reaches over my shoulders! And it also allowed me to realize that the shawl doesn't stretch at all vertically, so turning it on its side to make it rectangular wouldn't have worked. It has much more stretch width-wise which will make the triangle nice & snuggly on the shoulders. :) *whew* Glad that decision is over. My goal is to have it done by this weekend. Ready to mail on Monday.



Now for the tricky stuff. Sockapaloooza socks. I'm using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Iris Garden (gorgeous!) and am torn between Sheri's Sock pattern and the Basketcase Sock pattern. Leaning toward the lace, but the basketcase looks so cushy and warm! But the real dilemma is my sockpal has size 5 feet! I can handle that in length, but what do I do about the circumference? Do I reduce the overall number of stitches (including in the leg?), just reduce in the foot, or not reduce at all and worry that it will be too big? Eeek! Advice, please! I am going to swatch today, btw.
Oh, and to increase your yarn viewing pleasure, I present two skeins of green and one white of Frog Tree alpaca for a new hat for the Boy, and he picked out a skein of Paton's Kroy for more toddler socks. He's decided that he now has a favorite color--Green! :) Hat & socks will come after the shawl is done, of course.

6 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger chris said...

Your Candleflame shawl is gorgeous!! That color is so rich and the pattern, of course, is beautiful. I know DH's grandmother will love it. That LL Iris Garden is so pretty, too! I really like the lace pattern, but I'm wondering if the variegation will look better with the Basketcase pattern? I think it could look pretty with the lace pattern, too, so that's a hard call. Gee, I'm no help with decisions, huh? ;-) Do you know if your sock pal is petite overall? I don't really have any experience in altering sock patterns (so that's *exactly* why you should listen to me ;-)), but if she's petite overall, reducing the overall # of stitches sounds like a good idea. But, it's possible that she has small feet and average/above sized legs, in which case that probably wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe, just reduce in the foot?? BTW, the boy has excellent taste. ;-) Yay, green! Take care, Amanda! :-)

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Olga said...

Well, you could email her and ask her to measure her circumference (both around the ball and maybe around the ankle). I had a question about my sockpal's color tastes and socksister Ina was like, whyn't you just ask her? Which I thought was kind of brilliant, because, why obsess over it? If for some reason you don't want to ask her, I'll happily measure my own feet to give you an approximation! I wear size 5 1/2.

I went with Rib and Cables precisely because of this fear of fit issue (I really would love to do lace, but I opted for the more forgiving rib).

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Maybe I could do just that, Olga. I have her foot length and circumference, but no ankle measurement . . .
Thanks everyone for your kind comments on the shawl. I'm enjoying it, even though it takes me about 2 hours to get through a 10-row pattern repeat!!!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Heh, what takes you two hours takes me about 3 1/2! But I'm enjoying the pattern, too, and I have until the beginning of April before MIL's birthday, so no stress.

I really love both of the sock patterns, and having never done a sock before, I don't know if I have any opinion on which would be the better choice. I've wanted to try a sock or two, but they look a little difficult. Any suggestions on an easy pattern to start with?

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Heh, heh--sending an email your way. . . :)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

You're not going to hhok me up with "the worlds hardest sock to knit" pattern as some sort of knitting induction hazing ritual are you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home