No doping here--honest!
I somehow managed to narrowly avoid another Olympic doping scandal--
because I was obviously on drugs when I thought I could graft these cable bands.
What a BAD idea that was. Well, I mean, I thought I went about it the right way, but there is surprisingly little in the way of help on the Web. I did a provisional cast on and then planned to "simply" follow the path of the waste yarn to graft the edges together.
Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha! *whew, let me catch my breath* Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!
It didn't take me long to realize that it just wasn't going to work. Not at this point in my knitting career, anyway. As long as there are alternative methods, I can accept such defeat with a smile and move on. I did a three-needle bind off. Quick and easy. No seamless perfection here, but I now have circular bands. Yay!
The only frustrating part here is if I knew I was going to have a seam in the band, would I have wanted to knit the front & back in pieces instead of in the round so the seams would have a "natural" place to fall? I guess we'll never know 'cause I'm off to pick up stitches! :)












6 Comments:
I would never have thought to do a 3 needle bind-off... stroke of genius! I would've just sat there and cried, like I've done a few times before. ;-) I've never been too good in the "resourceful" department when it comes to technique. Can't wait to see your progress pics! Take care, Amanda! :-)
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I only thought of the bind off because a friend at SnB mentioned it before I told her I was planning to graft it. Good thing she spoke up or I, too, would have been reduced to tears! *I was close, anyway, but sucked it up. ;)
Nice save!
I thought for maybe half a minute about the possibility of grafting mine, and then I remembered how BAD I AM at grafting. How it makes me want to scream! How I will learn 46 ways to knit socks toe up in order to avoid grafting! And then I realized, just seam the darn thing! And it turned out fine. I'm sure yours will look great!
whoo hoo :D
luck with the rest of the knitting.
Kepler is great :D
BTW, the trick with the kitchner is to turn the knits into purls and vice versa as you do the kitchnering...if that makes any sense. So on a purl section, you would stick the needle in purlwise on the front knitting, then knitwise on the back...
*sigh* terribly hard to explain with just text. It does work, believe me :)
I kitchenered the cabled band on my Coronet (knitty pattern) hat and thought I would go crazy. There are *no* instructions on how to do it anywhere that I could find. So I futzed and figured and ripped and got something that looked quasi decent - good enough, anyway. Congrats on coming up with a solution!
And Congrats on finishing it for the gold medal!
Post a Comment
<< Home