<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Olympic Gold


Kepler is done. I pulled an almost-all-nighter and then got up this morning and sewed in all the ends. Can't wait to do this again.

Yes, you heard me right. I'm going to do it again. The same sweater. This same sweater to be exact. *sigh*

Kepler is waaaaaayyyyy too big. As you can see from the picture, the shaping is just about nonexistent. Not only can I "pinch an inch", I can grab two handfuls! I kept checking as I went, but doing a bottom up sweater, I found it a little harder to judge how it would fit since it wasn't hanging from my shoulders.

Now that I've gone back and re-measured everything, I realize it was a gauge problem. Remember when I said I was so proud of myself because I swatched long before the Olympic challenge was issued--and even remembered to write it down? Well, I didn't trust myself, so I sort of semi-reswatched and came up with a bigger gauge. So, I extrapolated the pattern numbers out and redid the stitch count and ended up with a sweater that was huuuuuuge. My math wasn't off; I just "enjoyed the process" so much that I relaxed and hit the stated pattern gauge right on (like I swatched the first time), but now I was using bigger numbers. . . .

The cable bands are perfect, though. I can keep those. And the stockinette only took me about 3-4 days. Not too much time lost. Just a little demoralizing. *although I think it's probably better for morale to have a too big sweater rather than a too little sweater. :)

I guess all Olympics athletes--even those that medal--aren't necessarily pleased with their performance. . . but continuing to set higher goals for themselves is what makes them Olymipians, right? :)

So much for the first incarnation of the KepLaurAnda. I'm going to wear it to SnB today and see if I like it any better. Probably won't, but it's worth a shot before I go at it with the ball winder. And next time I'm going to trust myself!

The hubby was sweet about it (I think because he can't bear the idea of my ripping it all out). He likes it the way it is, but joked that I should just go jogging around the neighborhood in it so it'd get wet and felt to my exact body shape. *grin*

7 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Christina said...

I'm from the Kepler KAL. Whenever I knit for myself, I always make these huge sweaters, because I'm worried I'm going to make the sweater too small! I completely emphasize with you and am amazed you knit that sweater in two weeks! Brava!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger chris said...

WOOHOO!! Gold, baby!! I knew you could do it!! Your KepLaurAnda is GORGEOUS!! Your cable bands are beautiful and I think it looks great on you. I know you said that it's too big, but it looks really comfy and cozy and inviting, which I love. And you're totally right about the morale bit... Too big I can deal with; too small will give me a complex and issues for weeks ;-) I think your sweater would look fantastic either way, whether you decide to re-do the stockinette or not. Congratulations, again, Amanda! It looks awesome!!! Take care! :-)

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Amy Boogie said...

I think the sweater looks great. It's too bad that you feel it came out too big for you.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

You did it ... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm a big fan of slightly over-sized sweaters, personally, and I think your Kepler looks very comfortable (and the cable bands are great), but if you're not happy with the fit you won't wear it ... and that would be sad.

Because you did an amazing job. Well done!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Yay for finishing and grabbing that gold! I wished I could have knit mine top down -- which is so much better for checking the fit -- but those cable bands! Arrgh! If you want a more fitted sweater, by all means, rip away. But I agree with the other commenters that it looks nice. In any case, do you think you could save the bottom parts of the sleeves? Those don't look too big to me.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing in two weeks! Yay! If you don't want to re-knit, your could always use it as your big comfy sweater to lounge around the house in.

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive my ignorance relative to blogging - I obviously do not have a blog, but I am knitting [BEGINNING TO] a Kepler. I HATE seaming and have endeavored to change the directions to make it in the round. But I'm a bit timid about trusting myself, so began a search to find some info - and just read that you had done this. Can't find any details however, so thought I'd write and ask if they exist and how I might mimic what you did. Also, I have finished one sleeve in the round and it seems a bit snug so I wondered if that's the pattern fit, or if I've simply chosen the wrong size? Thanks in advance - Bev chaffibr@core.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home