A New Idea . . .
I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the Candle Flame shawl and while at SnB today (where the shawl was the talk of the shop, btw!), I got an idea. Alice, the owner of Tangle Knitting Studio, mentioned that maybe I should try to block the shawl in a square, because by the time the shawl was long enough width-wise, it'd probably be down past my butt--much longer than I'd really realized. So, I am thinking instead of forcing such an acute triangle into a square, I will knit up half my yarn and then make another matching half shawl--and sew them together to get sort of a elongated diamond/Clapotis shape. What do you think? I think rectangular wraps are more useful, anyway, and I definitely want the hubby's grandmother to get some use out of this. I have about 2/3 of a skein to go before I have to decide. . . :)
I am trying SO hard to be monogamous to this shawl until it's done, but am having a tough time. I figured it was okay to cast on for the hat I want to make for grandpa since it will be mailed with the shawl. And it gives me an easy mindless project to take with me in the car. :)












3 Comments:
Amanda, I'm probably a little more than 1/3 of the way through mine, and I'd sort of thought about that. Being a novice, I wasn't sure what to do about it. A square does sound more reasonable to me, but I wonder if it'll take away from the candle-flame shape a little since, unless you're holding it by one of two corners, all the flames will be on their sides. Or maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet and I'm not "seeing" it.
Tell me more! :)
Hmm. Without seeing the shawl, it's hard to say. But it sounds like a good idea to me, to make a elongated diamond. That shape is really nice to wear, I think.
Hope you are well! :)
I really like the idea of joining two shawls together to make an elongated rectangular shape. The only thing I'm wondering about, though, is whether that would make half of the candle flames upside-down? Even if it does, I think it'll still look great, and it'll probably make it easier to wear, too. Can't wait to see it- it's such a beautiful knit! Take care, Amanda! :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home