Olympic Hopeful
The Olympics start tomorrow. I'm a mix of excitement and trepidation. I swatched for Kepler waaaaay back in August (when I first bought this yarn and joined the KAL) and fortunately wrote down the needle size I would need. *grin*
So, I've got my yarn: Cascade 220 in color 9332 (a deep denim blue)
my needles: Denise US10
my pattern: Kepler
my gameplan: knit all 3 cable bands at once, then Kitchener the hip band together, pick up around the band and knit up in the round, consider the sleeves (I have broad shoulders, so I wonder if I should go the Keplaura route and make it a raglan? I should probably have decided that by now, I know, but I also know I'll need a cable break sometime and can use it to crunch some numbers.), kitchener the sleeve bands and work them at the same time in the round, too. Sew everything together (or work some similar magic) and be done!
I am hoping that the cables will be much more intuitive (and quick!) than the DNA scarf. The cables in it were awesome, but not very regular, so I had to refer to the chart a lot. Since the Kepler cable is very traditional, I'm crossing my fingers (and sititches--ha!) that it will become rhythmic.
One last thing you've got to see: Ruth's Olympic Post in which she coins the term "Procrastiknitting". That's just too funny (and I'm sure I'll be using it for years to come!). While you're there, take a peek at the gorgeous Clapotis she's knitting for her SIL. Yum!
P.S. Why didn't I realize how bad (good?) Sockapaloooza would be for my stash? Am I really that naive? Today I stopped at a LYS that I don't usually frequent (because it's not as L as some others) looking for some bright Koigu KPPPM for my sock pal. Instead I walked out with Cascade Fixation in TWO colorways (blue/teal/lime and Mardi Gras yellow/green/purple) and some balls of purple and teal Dalegarn Baby Ull. I apparently have a LOT of choices, but what to do? I'm not sure I want to try Fixation for the first time for a sockpal . . . especially since she has smaller feet than I--so I won't be able to try them on to make sure they fit. *sigh* But what a problem to have, huh? My sock stash is growing exponentially! :)












4 Comments:
I'll be watching your Kepler progress, because I plan on knitting it soon, also using Cascade 220. This way I can see how you swatch it, and how many yards it takes (hopefully not more than I've already bought). :)
We really need to get together a Team Portland... I'm gonna go for it, even though I shouldn't! Sounds like you had a nice trip to the store! Where did you go? Enquiring minds want to know...
Ooh, sock yarn pornage! Yep, blame it all on the sock pal, I see how it is! ;-) Just kidding- sock yarn always has a way of jumping in shopping baskets when you're not looking. Even in online carts, too! ;-) Good luck with the Olympic Knitting- I'm cheering you on!! Take care, Amanda! :-)
Awww, shucks, Amanda! I'm pretty sure I can't have coined the term (because there are just too many of us out there ... ), but whether I thought of it first or not, it fits my knitting style and I'm glad you liked it.
I've always liked Kepler, and think it will look smashing in denim blue.
Good luck during the Olympics!
Post a Comment
<< Home