<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, September 21, 2009

A Much-Deserved Sweater

I am committed to tackling a sweater for the Hubby this year. The one I've had in mind for years is a cable & rib (#12) from Easy Knitting Winter 2001. I even bought yarn a looong time ago when the Hubby was even more dollar conscious than he is now. In Lion Brand Wool Ease (actually the yarn recommended in the pattern!), it will be a $35 sweater. He'll love the price and I think he'll be willing to wear the pattern, too. A simple 2x2 rib on the top and a basic cable in a darker grey on the bottom (minus the turtleneck and turned cuffs).
I have cast on for the sleeve about 6 times already (using it as my swatch). I had to downsize from the recommended US7 to a US5 and now that I've decided to convert it to a seamless raglan, knitting-in-the-round has changed my gauge yet again and I will start the round cuff on a US4. I'm a relatively tight knitter--how did they expect anyone to get 6sts/in. in 2x2 rib on a US7??? I hope I'm not knitting him a suit of armor.

Been raiding the Hubby's closet for some favorite pullovers of his to measure. The two at the top of the list turned out to be radically different in dimensions. Odd. I did sneakily ask him which he likes better, though, so I have a good idea what I'm shooting for. With the sweater being so much in rib, I'm just a little nervous about it being too clingy, but I am going to trust in the math because every time I think I know better, the knitting gods smite me.

Keep your fingers crossed!

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Good luck with the sweater endeavor! I have yet to take on such a project. Committing to an extra large men's sweater that will only get worn once a year at best is just nonsense in my opinion. :) I like the pattern you've chosen. Very simple and manly.

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed!! (But, he's not going to want the sort of dorky headwear, too, is he?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home