Now We're Getting Somewhere
I'm starting to be able to spin a finer yarn. Still have lots of thick & thin spots which I don't always notice until I begin to ply which is where it becomes really obvious. I know it's all a matter of more practice! :)
Here's the latest:
100% Targhee Combed Top that I bought at the Abernethy Grange sale last Saturday. I pre-drafted and split it down the middle so I'd wind up with two similar bobbins to ply together. I wanted to preserve the pretty color changes in this fiber.
A gorgeous bobbin full!
My first attempt to ply started out with matching colors, but as you can see on the left, it quickly moved to barber-pole striping (which in this yarn looks really muddy). So I took a big breath, watched a couple of internet videos, and plunged into Navajo plying to keep the colors consistent. It worked like a charm and I loved the fiddly technique. Plus, at 12-13 wpi, I've finally achieved the goal of worsted weight!!! Hooray.












8 Comments:
Wow! I'm seriously impressed! Not only are you spinning, but you've learned navajo plying, too?! Incredible. Nice work.
Looks wonderful - nice work!
Lookin good! I like how you kept the colors separated!
Yay! It looks great.
Not knowing a thing in the world about spinning, I find that when someone shows photos of Navajo plying, I like that the best. Beautiful!
my hands were cramping watching a bit of that video (out of curiousity)!
beautiful yarn!!
Wow! that looks great! You are so much braver than I and it looks like you did a wonderful job with the navajo plying.
Your navajo plying looks great! I don't enjoy the technique while I'm doing it, but I love the finished effect.
Now what are you knitting with it?
Post a Comment
<< Home