Hellooooo!
How nice to be back and catching up on everyone's blogs!
So, the silk. Let's get to the silk! My in-laws are notorious for going overboard when giving gifts. This year was no exception. I recieved both medium and large size Fiber Trends sock blockers as well as SIX skeins of sport weight 100% silk (260 yds/ea) from Halcyon Yarns. I was a little speechless. . .
I'm thinking of using the red to make myself some gloves and a headband/earwarmer. The pink or blue will become something for the new little one. I'll know which color to use on Tuesday!!!
My dad is superb about giving my mom, sister, and I all gift certificates to the lys so I always get to go shopping while on vacation. This year I decided to shoot for a new, cosy Clapotis! The Zara wool is a cranberry color and will be pretty but snuggly at the same time. The green/white/red striped yarn is destined for a 2007 Christmas hat for one of the two kiddos--not sure which, yet. It put me over my gift certificate amount, but I couldn't just leave it there!

A gift card from my MIL to a different lys bought me two skeins of Muench Touch Me chenille in turquoise that are already being knitted into handwarmers so I can rub my face with that unbelievably soft yarn all day long. Heh.
And my 8-year-old nephew gave me a big skein (is there any other kind?) of Red Heart Baby in pastels. It was such a sweet, thoughtful thing for him to do that I just have to make something with it--probably a tiny blanket or something. On that note, though, I've gotten a little creeped out by 100% acrylic on kids lately. I have a cute firefighter sweater kit for The Boy, but it's acrylic and all I can think of is it melting . . . .yikes! *or is that just overactive, pregnant mommy brain?
So, here are two quick questions to start off the new year:
What do you think about acrylic knitwear and its safety, etc.?
Who's using the new Blogger? Why/why not?












16 Comments:
I don't tend to use acrylic too much, but I've knit a few blankets with it and a sweater for my son in it as well. No problems with washing/drying here.
As for the "new" blogger, I didn't switch. I heard there were too many problems and that you couldn't undo some changes. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I like thinks in their places!
Crossing my fingers for you for Tuesday! Can't wait to hear the results. :)
- Your Sock Bud
Wow! I knew about the silk, but actually seeing it makes all the more impressive. :)
Hmmm... acrylic. Millions of grandmas have been knitting with it for years, and I haven't heard of any kids spontaneously combusting from it. That said, I probably wouldn't leave my kid alone with a book of matches and a garment knit with it.
I've used some- even knit J's little sweater with it. But I'm not a fan of it, and only use it because it's readily available and I'm not afraid to "waste" it with projects that I'm unsure about.
That nephew of ours, he's a real sweet and thoughtful kid, isn't he? He always makes spot-on choices for gifts.
Can't wait to hear the news Tuesday! We'll be thinking about you.
BTW, the thought of "one of the two kiddos" just struck home and made me go "holy crap!" As if I didn't already know that there would be another one by Christmas!
Funny how things take a while to sink in. :)
Glad you guys made it home safely.
Hold on while I finish drooling over that silk.
Well, I switched to the new Blogger because I have wanted categories (blogger calls them "labels") for quite some time. I like the labels but the extra files seem to take up a lot of room. Since I host my own blog this presents a problem, but since you're on blogspot it shouldn't matter. The only other thing I noticed was when you switch, it republishes like 30 of your last posts. This is only an inconvenience for readers using Bloglines or something, and it's only for the very next time they view your feed.
As for the acrylic, we use it to make lap blankets for hospice patients and the hospice has never complained about the material used.
The yarn is fabulous!!! How great that your in-laws are good at shopping for a knitter. :)
Lovely, lovely silk! As for acrylic and kids, I wouldn't be that worried. Chances are he won't be wearing knitwear to bed. As far as I understand, the garment industry only puts fire retardent on sleepwear.
I haven't heard of issues with the new Blogger; my experience has been all good so far. I used to have major problems uploading pictures and since I switched over, uploading's been no problem.
That silk is to die for!
Yummy yarn! I'm so impressed!
I tend to despise acrylic and usually substitute cotton or a wool-cotton blend. I don't like the way it feels and given that most of my knitting projects take forever to complete, it's best if I knit with something I truly enjoy. I would say that most commercially-made clothing, children's included, is made of synthetic fibers. If it was dangerous, it (probably) wouldn't be on the market.
I haven't switched to the new Blogger yet. It's difficult to find time to blog and that's just one more thing to deal with. I'll let them switch me over at some point. Hopefully, my name is way down on the list.
Wow-- such lovely yarn!
Acrylic in general scares me, and I don't have kids, so it might not be your overactive mommy instinct. It's frightening.
Hmm, I don't really use acrylic much because I don't like the way it feels to knit it. I have no kids (yet) so I never really though about safely - but I think it would bother me.
I'm using new blogger. It took a bit of figuring out and re-learning to format my blog to all the customization I had done to it, but now that I'm used to it I love it!! I think it's much easier to update my sidebar, and I love not having to republish the blog every time you change something.
If you inspect the fiber content of most baby garments, you will see that acrylic and polyester makes up the largest parrt of most of them. Ask yourself, how often will your child be near an open flame? How often have you had your own clothing catch on fire? Statistically, the wee one is in more danger every time you put him / her in the car. Do you plan on never leaving the house again? Don't worry about using the acrylic. Make a blankie using the yarn doubled (pull from center and outside at the same time) and BIG needles so it will go really, really fast and you won't need to have the icky stuff in your hands too long.
What a dear, SWEET boy your nephew is! BRavo. And what awesome presents! I'm so jealous!
I totally understand where you're coming from, Amanda...I stopped wearing synthetic fibers anytime I had to fly because I read somewhere that if the plane ever crashed and there was a fire, the burns could be pretty bad. That might make me sound paranoid, but I'm really not! Anyway, I agree with what most people are saying, that the chances of your kids spontaneously combusting are nil. Just don't dress them in acrylic sweaters if you have to fly. ;-)
I switched to the new blogger and wish I hadn't. The comments don't get emailed to me anymore with return addresses, which is a drag.
I've been thinking about your silk yarn. Remember that silk is NOT elastic. It drapes beautifully though. Maybe start with a scarf to get a feel for the fiber. Gloves and headband will get droopy.
congrats on the baby boy! So exciting...
As for new blogger, i'm using it and HATING it. too many kinks not worked out, can't e-mail replys to comments, i have to sign in a gazillion times, and the picture uploading is inconsistent. I wouldn't switch until you have to. but those are just my (overly cranky) thoughts.
I don't like acrylic because it melts. I like wool because it is self extinguishing and superwash is washable.
I have switched to Blogger 2 and I love it. I have a customized template so I just didn't change it over to the new template. I love that it now posts pics without a problem and that posts go up instantly so I haven't had to worry about them not posting or double posting. So far it has been pretty smooth for me.
Ooooh! The silk is so pretty. You have definitely been spoiled. Congrats on the upcoming baby boy!
Post a Comment
<< Home