<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Batting .000

Damn. I am apparently in a "knitting a wearable garment" slump. It all started with Kepler, I'm afraid. But am I learning valuable lessons? Um. Yeah. But it still sucks.
  • Kepler was too big because of a gauge problem I tried to "correct".
  • One of my Mardi Gras socks is a little too big because I was afraid of knitting all the stretch out of the Fixation (didn't need to worry)
  • The KSH lace camisole was too small because I measured the armholes incorrectly

and the streak continues.

I finished my first Mock Croc sock last night, but quickly realized it was just a tad too short, so I've ripped out the toe and will add one more "scale" repeat before redoing the toe tonight.

I also finished the Baccarat Player tank and have discovered that the cotton/silk/wool blend was not only a wrong yarn subsitute for me to make, but a very, very sorry and horrible one at that. :( What's supposed to be a drapey front just sort of blobs out at the chest and seriously reminds me of Mick Jagger's bottom lip. Now, I like Mick and all, but I don't really want his lip sticking off my shirt.

Aaaaaarrrrrrgh! What the hell is going on? To be honest, I can see in each case what's gone wrong--which is good in a way because they're all fixable.

I think what's been plaguing me lately is what pilots call "get-there-itis", in which you're so ready to be done with flying (either because you're too tired or because you're excited to be wherever you're going) that you maybe make judgements/decisions that you shouldn't. Like finishing that sock toe one repeat early, or making that armhole too small. Of course, in flying, "get-there-itis" usually gets you killed. For me, it just means that the Baccarat top will probably become a Shapely Tank, Kepler will have to wait until early fall, and I'll spend more time than necessary fixing my hurried mistakes.

Welll, at least I've learned my lessons. (There won't be any more, will there?) *sigh*




My mom (Lynn) finished her first Mock Croc!

4 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your unlucky streak with your knitting. I myself have gotten very good (a bit TOO good) at frogging, undoing, and re-doing everything I've touched. The law of averages says that with this amount of mistakes, success shouldn't be far behind. Here's hoping that for you.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Mommyleek said...

Egads! I have to tell you that, while I really feel for you, it's also somewhat comforting to know that I'm not the only one that runs into problems sometimes. You seem to handle them better than I do, though.

And while that top may not be meant to be, it'll make a pretty tank as well. Sorry it didn't work out though. I know you were planning on wearing to to a wedding.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger jennie said...

I'm a little behind on my posting but... hang in there! I know the feeling and it will pass. Knit something simple, soothing, and low maintenance and you'll get your mojo back!

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand about your knitting streak. I'm still fearful of plunging into knitting a garment because of just those reasons. Hang in there, and keep trying. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home