<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, January 02, 2006

Back to Blogging!

Happy New Year, y'all! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.

*let me preface by saying that I'm still looking for pictures of all this stuff and will post them asap*

I knitted my fingers to the bone while we were back in TN with family. My sister loved her DNA scarf! She had never seen the pattern before, so she was really excited and impressed. :) My mom's Azkaban scarf is only half done--though, as my sister pointed out, if anyone can understand an unfinished gift, it's Mom. I wrapped it up for her with needles still attached. Her gift to me wasn't done, either! *LOL* I made a quilt for the hubby which was a surprise because he was sure whatever he got would be knitted. The MIL's brioche scarf finished off quickly and was even softer and more fabulous after it was washed. The Boy's jacket is still waiting for a zipper. My college roommate's fingerless (tipless) gloves are still missing 8 fingers--didn't I start this blasted project in, like, August? We didn't see her over the break, anyway, so I'm going to finish them up this week. It's been so long since I've worked on them, I'm newly motivated. :)

My grandmother's felted oven mitt turned out smashingly, and the FIL's manly oven mitt (complete with flames) came out pretty well, too. My colorwork skills suck out loud, unfortunately. I understand how to do it and I always try to leave lots of float in the back by spreading out my stitches, but I'm just a tight knitter. Even when I consciously knit loosely, my colorwork comes out a tiny bit bunchy. Fortunately, in felted items, you can stretch the hell out of them after felting and get them back to the right size. Achieving good colorwork (fair isle or intarsia) will be a goal for the new year. (Manly oven mitt deadline was down to the wire, so I forgot to get a post-felting picture. SIL says she'll get one for me.)


My dad's gloves never materialized, but there's always next year. *After Christmas, I did whip up a hat for the hubby in a single day of visitng the in-laws, though. It's amazing what you can do when there's no deadline pressure! Sort of reminds me of how much I have always loved to read--unless a teacher asked me to do a book report or something. . . . . *grin*

As for the Christmas gift haul, I got a gift certificate to Yarniverse and bought 5 skeins of Manos del Uruguay in color 106 Autumn. I originally thought I'd make another Clapotis with it (I already have a "fancy" one, but I'd really like a warm snuggly one, too.), but now I'm considering something bigger. Sweater perhaps? I'd need more yarn, but since there are no dyelots on Manos, I'm going to check with my LYS and see if I can get some to match.

And now the big news: our family agreed to make gifts this year (for the adults, at least--the Boy still got spoiled rotten). My sister (the new knitter as of just last Spring) DYED YARN FOR ME!!!! Oh, I could have cried it was so unexpected and beautiful! Eight hanks of KnitPicks wool--220 yds/ea. She also snuck off with my 2 & 1/2 year old while were were there and let him dye a skein. He was really excited to make yarn for Mommy (and, amazingly enough, kept it a secret until Christmas). Soooooo sweet! She let him pick the colors and it came out the color of melted Neapolitan ice cream--with a hint of mint. Sort of pink, creamy brown, and pale green. Delicious! It's currently being turned into a pair of socks. My first pair since Mother's Day last year. Fun!



The other yarns haven't told me what they want to be, yet. It's hard because I want each of them to be something really special (and for ME). There are two skeins of an orange/yellow/green. Summery & bright. Two skeins of light/dark turquoise and three skeins of a muted plum. The orange can't go next to my skin, so I originally thought about making them into socks, but at worsted weight, it only takes one skein to make a pair--and I didn't really need two pairs. So, that's still up in the air. I think the blue might become Wavy. The purple looks subtle and sophisticated next to my complexion, so I'd love to have a top of some kind--but I only have 660 yds. to work with. I was considering a tank--but is a wool tank really wearable? I'm not a vest or poncho person, unfortunately--too broad in the shoulders. Well, I could maybe do a vest if it was open in the front like a cardigan. I could possibly squeeze out Tempting, but I like Tempting II better--and there isn't enough yarn for that. *pout* I'm also thinking about a cowl/scarf type-thing--Aibhlinn but a little shorter, maybe? All suggestions are most welcome, by the way!

*sigh* Decisions, decisions, decisions! But what decisions to have, huh? :) I have a whole new list of things I want to do this year and can't wait to get started!

1 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Yay! Sounds like lots of knitty goodness! :) I'm glad you're back and looking forward to knitting with you in cyberspace this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home