Another FO (!) and a bind off question
So, my sister's gift is done!

If you're not my sister, you can click on the gift to see it. :)
I do have one question, however. I'm not happy with the bind off. First, it was too loose. I have a fear of binding off too tight, but this time the looseness caused the bottom edge to flare, so I redid it and am fine with the size (pictures are unblocked, btw). The thing that bothers me is that both edges don't match. You can definitely tell which is the cast on edge & which is the bound off one (top in picture). I'm browsing KnittingHelp.com for an alternative, but if anyone out there has an opinion for a bind off that would match better, please let me know!












7 Comments:
I'm no help in the bind-off department, but I have to tell you, your sister's gift is GORGEOUS!!! You did such an awesome job with it! She's going to absolutely love it. Such a pretty color, too. :-)
Hey Amanda, that looks great! So pretty and I bet those cables were fun. For the bind-off, have you tried the k2tog bind-off? I don't know, it might have less of that "chainy" look if you know what I mean. I haven't really compared it to regular bind off side by side, so I'm not sure. Just a thought.
Does the reverse side of the bind off look the same as the cast on edge? If so, bind off by purling, then pass stitch over, instead of knitting.
fantastic scarf! DNA! What fun :)
Regarding Kepler:
(sorry, I can't find an email addy for you!) Anyhow, Kitchener the cable bands as you would normal knitting, but reversing the directions for kitchner stitch where you are joining purl sections together...if that makes any sense at all. Luck, half baked Stephanie
Thank you, everyone for your wonderful comments and advice. *The knitting community out there is awesome!* I tried a few methods of binding off and decided that binding off in pattern (why I didn't do that in the first place, I don't know) seems to match the best. Hooray! :) Off to block!
It's a bit late now, but in the future, you could try using a provisional cast-on at the beginning of the scarf. Then when you finish, you can bind off both ends the same way.
Post a Comment
<< Home