<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/14610853?origin\x3dhttp://bulldogknits.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, March 26, 2006

More Candleflame Details

The original pattern (see sidebar) called for bulky yarn and did not give a yardage estimate. It seemed to me that to do such a dense stitch in a bulky yarn would create something that would be able to stand up by itself! So, I decided to substitue something thinner & with a lot of drape. I would really be interested in doing this pattern again in the new Cashmerino Aran weight. Still soft & drapey, but would work up more quickly! :)

Details:
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino
gauge on yarn label--25 sts & 34 rws on US3 = 4 inches
I used 5 balls (125 meters each) and US5 needles

Finished shawl measurements:
19 pattern repeats
90 full "flames" (because of the staggered pattern, there is also a last row of half-flames)
26" top to bottom & 42" wide, very lightly steam blocked
The pattern stretches nicely when placed around the shoulders. I would also love to figure out how to do a rectangle in candleflame stitch to make a blanket since the texture of the stitch just begs to be touched. I have got to stop fondling this thing and get it in the mail! :)

5 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great info, thanks!! I thought that too, about the bulky weight yarn, in the pattern. It seems like you could do this pattern in just about any weight, really.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger chris said...

Your shawl is GORGEOUS!! I absolutely love it!! I'm sure your husband's grandmother will love it, too. That pattern is just so stunning. Thanks so much for the info on the number of skeins and needle size you used. I hope to make this someday, too- yours turned out so beautifully! Fantastic job... take care, Amanda! :-)

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Its really wonderful. That one has been on my list for a long time. Seeing yours might just motivate me to cast on!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Thanks all!
Jillian, you could definitely do this in any weight yarn and make it any size. Easy! Just keep knitting until you're done. :) I stopped at 5 balls of yarn because that's how many I bought. *grin*

Oh, and can I say how warm the Baby Cashmerino is? I didn't really think about it much, but I had the shawl on my lap during SnB yesterday and when I took it off I immediately noticed a chill! That's the other thing that makes me want a blanket out of it. :)

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Beautiful! It's gorgeous! I really like that pattern. It does look very snuggly. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home